Thursday, August 30, 2007

Affordable Art?

What price bracket makes art affordable? And if I were to open up an art gallery, what price range should the art be in?

A lot of galleries that I've walked into all have artwork that is way out of my budget. And having been to a couple of 'Affordable Art' fairs in my time, I've always walked away feeling as though I couldn't afford any of it.

I think the gallery I open up would be aimed more at the everyday fold who can appreciate a nice painting, but aren't prepared to pay $5,000 for it.

On the other hand, a lot of art that you see on sites like Etsy and Made It seem, well, too affordable. You can buy some quality art for less than $30. In these cases, I think the artists are doing themselves harm by selling things so cheaply.

I'd like to find a balance. Where artists can be fairly paid for their work, and buyers don't have to be part of the 'art investment elite' to be a customer of mine.

I guess I'm thinking a price range would usually be $100 - $500 for most pieces, nothing under $50 and and nothing over $1,000 (Australian Dollars, that is).

Does that seem like a reasonable price range?

No comments: